Copyright DVR 2013 -
Free Confidential Support & Information Service
Services for Women and Children
Office Hours 10am - 5pm
Monday - Friday
• Monitors what you are doing
• Unfairly accuses you of being unfaithful all the time
• Prevents or discourages you from going to work or school
• Insists you pay for all household and childcare expenses if you work?
• Calls you names such as 'stupid' or 'bitch'?
• Acts towards you in a way that humiliates you or puts you down?
• Behaves in a jealous or possessive way towards you/ accuses you of having, or wanting to have affairs?
• Criticises you constantly about what you wear, how you do things?
• Has unpredictable mood swings, gets angry quickly, leaving you walking on egg-shells?
• Follows you, checks up on you, stalks you or spies on you?
• Hits walls, drives dangerously or does other things to scare you?
• Drinks heavily or uses drugs?
• Denys you access to money, has 'money secrets' from you, controls how you spend your money, controls whether you
can use the car, or the phone?
• Threatens you with physical violence?
• Threatens to hurt the children? Undermines you in front of the children, Forces the children to take part in abusing you?
• Uses a weapon to frighten you?
• Threatens to kill you, or threatens to kill himself if you leave?
• Physically attacks you (e.g. hair-pulling, slapping, pushing, shoving, twisting limbs)?
• Uses severe physical violence towards you that left you with injuries (e.g. bruises, cuts, burns, broken bones, black eyes,
• Triesto choke or strangle you, or uses a weapon/ object to hurt you?
• Isolates you from your friends and family/ is upset or hurt if you want to go out with your friends without him/ puts your
friends down/ finds reasons not to like your friends and family/
• Shouts and swears at you in ways that have frightened you?
• Blames you for his problems, behaviour or bad mood?
• Destroys your belongings, things that you loved, or smash up things in the home?
• Gets very angry during and/or after drinking alcohol or using drugs
• Controls your use of medicines
• Decides things for you, such as what to wear or eat
• Humiliates you in front of others
• Does not keep arrangements made with you
• Does not take your feelings into account
• Does things to deliberately to provoke you
• Destroys property or things that you care about
• Threatens to hurt you, your children, or pets
• Hurts you physically in any way (by hitting, beating, pushing, shoving, punching, slapping, kicking, or biting)
• Uses (or threatens to use) a weapon against you
• Forces you to have sex against your will
• Controls your birth control or insists that you get pregnant
• Blames you for his or her violent outbursts
• Threatens to harm himself or herself when upset with you
• Says things like, 'if I can't have you then no one can.'
ARE YOU IN AN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP?
Take our quiz
Domestic violence is not a once off occurrence of physical abuse. It is a pattern of behavior that includes isolation,
financial abuse, sexual abuse , emotional abuse and intimidation.
Tel: 091 866740
100% of text cost goes to
DVR across most network
Some providers apply VAT
which means a minimum of
€1.63 of your €2 Text will
go to DVR.
Helpline (01) 4433890.